They say that taking a break will make your day more productive. Is it a cliché or a fact?
We’ve read encouraging articles, heard inspiring stories, not to mention numerous studies conducted so we can strive for a perfect work/life balance. Mentally and spiritually, we agree wholeheartedly. Practically, isn’t it easier said than done? Recently Stylist Magazine have launched a “reclaim your lunchbreak” campaign and we agree with them.
Allow me to share these 8 easy-to-digest ideas.
Just don’t grab a bite at your desk in between emails and telephone calls. Paying full attention to what you are eating will make you properly digest and will also better your brain function. So science-y but true! Wouldn’t you rather savour those yummy burger, chips and chocs?
A REAL BREAK = GREATER CONCENTRATION
This is the best way to sustain one’s psychological resources, creativity and energy levels throughout the day. Less mental blocks, lesser yawns and the least of caffeine cravings.
GET A DOSE OF MINDFULNESS
Nah, no need for a full on yoga session to enjoy the power of meditation. Even sitting quietly and focusing on a relaxing activity such as reading or listening to music can be a small act of mindfulness.
A NAP CAN IMPROVE YOUR MEMORY
Heard of a power nap? 10 to 15 minutes work a treat without reaching that dreaded post-sleep grogginess. I read that our body clock has that natural dip in energy right around 2pm. So even if you end up having a late lunch break, you just found a perfect time to grab a quick nap!
Exercise reduces stress, improves mood and increases confidence and self-esteem. These are just some of the benefits to make you feel better about your body, even if you don’t actually see the physical effect. A few stretches and a dozen jumping jacks should be doable.
SPEND TIME IN NATURE TO REFRESH YOUR ATTENTION SPAN
Stroll the back streets and head to green spaces to let your brain relax. Deep breathes and enjoy nature so you can return to work with renewed focus. Research has found that over a sustained period, people spending time in greener urban areas display fewer signs of anxiety or depression and have low stress levels. How about that power nap!
MOVE TO A CAFÉ AFTER LUNCH TO IMPROVE CREATIVITY
This is my favourite! Here’s a couple of reasons why. The ambient sound of a café has shown to be the most beneficial level of creativity. Its moderate noise level is just enough to push us out of our comfort zone and into more creative thinking. Second, the change of location can renew your focus and takes you out of the tedium of the same workspace all day. Adding a third one has to be done…who doesn’t love a dose of caffeine in the middle of your day.
POST TO SOCIAL MEDIA
Say what? You read right. It’s the perfect way to finish your break. Studies show a spike on postings around lunchtime on weekdays. So join the crowd and update your status, upload a photo and/or check-in and end your lunch break with a smile on your face 🙂 🙂
Our neighbourhood has lots to offer to avoid the shopping frenzy of Oxford Circus and they’re only up to 15 minutes’ walk.
Culture and Arts
- Wallace Collection, Hertford House, Marylebone, Manchester Square, London, W1U 3BN
- Lights of Soho Brewer Street, Soho, London W1F 0RU
- Pollock’s Toy Museum 1 Scala Street, Fitzrovia, London W1T 2HL
- Photographers’ Gallery, 16-18 Ramillies Street, Soho, London W1F 7LW
- RIBA Gallery, Royal Institution of Great Britain, 21 Albemarle Street, Mayfair, London W1S 4BS
- Pace Gallery London 6 Burlington Gardens, Mayfair, London W1S 3ET
- Fashion Space Gallery, London College of Fashion, 20 John Princes Street, Marylebone, London W1G 0BJ
- Handel House Museum, 25 Brook Street, Mayfair, London W1K 4HB
- Cavendish Square Gardens
- Hanover Square
- Soho Square
- Brown Hart Gardens, Duke Street, Mayfair, London W1K 6WP
- Phoenix Garden, 21 Stacey Street, Covent Garden, London WC2H 8DG
Wellness, Wellbeing and Treats
- Psycle, 76 Mortimer Street, London, W1W
- Triyoga, Unit 2.4-2.6 Kingly Court, Soho, London W1B5PW
- Urban Golf, 33 Great Pulteney Street, Soho, London W1F 9NW
- Elemis Spa, 2 Lancashire Court, Mayfair, London W1S 1EX
- The Beauty Lounge, 1 Kingly Court, Soho, London W1B 5PW
- Chuan Spa, 1c Portland Place, Marylebone, London W1B 1JA
Sources: Oprah.com / GoogleMap